Very Veggie Omelette
This tasty omelette, packed with veggies, is a great wake-up call on any morning.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the zucchini, tomato, oregano and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is nearly evaporated. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. Place egg substitute in another bowl; fold in egg white mixture. Pour into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat or until lightly browned on bottom.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen.
- With a knife, score centre of omelette. Place vegetable mixture and half of cheese on one side; fold other side over filling. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cut in half to serve.
Makes 2 servings. Prep/Total time: 20 minutes.
1 omelette half equals: 197 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 639 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.