Irresistible Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Mashed sweet potatoes are a healthy, crowd-pleasing side to any meal.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional super food because they’re bursting with vitamins, minerals and fibre. So don’t just think of them for Thanksgiving dinner — find ways to get them into your diet on a regular basis. Sweet potatoes can be sliced and steamed, baked or mashed and they will still maintain their goodness.
Planning on cooking in advance? These mashed sweet potatoes can be cooked ahead and refrigerated. Reheat, covered, in a 265ºF (130°C) oven.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 kg sweet potatoes peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tsps maple syrup
- 2 tsps grated orange rind
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF (230°C). Place the sweet potatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and transfer the sweet potatoes and garlic to a medium bowl. Add pepper and 2 teaspoons oil. With a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes and garlic until not quite smooth, with some texture remaining.
- Transfer to a 28 x 18 cm (11 x 7 in.) baking dish. Combine the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, maple syrup and orange rind in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat. Drizzle the mixture over the potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Serve.
Per Serving: 62 calories, 3 g protein, 3 g total fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 30 g total carbohydrate, 17 g sugars, 4 g fibre, 16 mg sodium