These Date-Coconut Energy Bars Are The Midday Pick-Me-Up You Need
This recipe uses Medjool dates, which makes these bars a healthy and filling sweet treat.
Two Medjool dates have more than 3 g of fibre, which is about 15 percent of your daily recommended intake.
Learn why Medjool dates make the perfect sweet snack.
Image: Laura Jeha
- For the bars
- 1 1/2 cups pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the chocolate drizzle
- 50 g 70% dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- chopped almonds and coconut flakes for topping
- Add dates, salt and vanilla extract to bowl of a food processor. Process until dates form a paste. Mixture should start to clear sides of bowl and form a ball. Add oats, almonds, coconut and cinnamon, and process until finely ground and well-combined with dates. Mixture will look a little crumbly but should stick together when pressed between two fingers.
- Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on each end. Add energy bar mixture to pan and press firmly, using a spatula or back of a measuring cup to create a flat surface. Place in freezer to chill for 15 minutes, until firm.
- To make chocolate drizzle, add ⅔ of chopped chocolate and the coconut oil to a heatproof bowl and microwave for 45 to 60 seconds, until melted. Add remaining chopped chocolate and stir until pieces are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove bars from freezer and lift out of pan. Drizzle chocolate over bars and sprinkle with chopped almonds and coconut. Allow melted chocolate to set, then slice into 6 large or 12 smaller bars.
If the date mixture isn’t sticking together, try adding a little plant-based milk, 1 tsp at a time, until ingredients come together.