Moroccan Carrot & Lentil Soup
This vegetarian soup packs plenty of protein. Have it on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
Best Health magazine, November/December 2014; Image by Jodi Pudge
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- 11/4 cups dried red lentils drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped, divided
- 4 cups sodium-reduced vegetable broth
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry onion and carrots, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in spices and add salt to taste. Stir-fry until vegetables are softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas and 1 cup (250 mL) water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in all but 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the parsley.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir yogurt, honey and remaining parsley. Ladle soup into bowls; top with herbed yogurt. Serve with toasted pita wedges, if desired.
Per serving: 375 calories, 21 g protein, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 64 g carbohydrates, 20 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium