A Super Healthy Paleo Carrot Noodle Soup with Chicken Meatballs
This quick and easy spiralized carrot soup with arugula pesto and chicken meatballs will really hit the spot — and it’s dairy free.
This is a far cry from your grandmother’s chicken soup, but it’s even better for your health. Crisp-tender spiralized carrots stand in for the traditional wheat noodles. The chicken meatballs, cherry tomatoes and quick arugula pesto give it flavour without weighing it down.
Excerpted from The 7-Day Bone Broth Diet Plan & Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- For the pesto
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups arugula leaves packed
- 2 tbsps lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground pastured chicken
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps onion minced
- 2 tbsps garlic minced
- 1 tsps Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- For the soup
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 20 oz chicken bone broth
- 2 carrots peeled and spiralized
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- In a food processor, combine the pine nuts, garlic, arugula, lemon juice, yeast, and salt and process to a paste. With the processor running, slowly drizzle the oil through the tube into the paste in a steady stream until well combined and smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chicken, egg, onion, garlic, and Worcester- shire sauce and mix well. Form the mixture into 12 balls.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat the oil and cook the meatballs until they are browned on all sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook, stir- ring, until so ened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth to the pot and bring to a simmer. Add the carrots, salt, and pepper and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, until the carrots are just tender.
- To serve, scoop out the carrots and divide them among serving bowls. Top with some of the tomatoes, meatballs, and arugula. Ladle hot broth over the top and add a spoonful of pesto to each bowl. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 476 calories, 14g total carbohydrates, 4g sugar, 4g fibre, 33g fat, 8g saturated fat, 34g protein, 1684mg salt