Fiesta Fit Soup
This delicious soup is a one-pot meal containing ingredients that are linked to reducing belly fat, including whole grains, fibre, healthy fats, peppers and flavonoid-rich fruits and vegetables. What’s more, it’s easy to make, taking only 25 minutes from stove-top to table.
Recipe courtesy Catelli® Healthy Harvest® pasta
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 cups Whole grain bow pasta
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (approx.)
- 1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes (14 oz/398 mL)
- 2 cans no salt added black beans (14 oz/398 mL each), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels thawed
- 4 cups baby spinach lightly packed
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 lime zested and juiced (approx.)
- fresh coriander (optional), Chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and red pepper; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cranberries, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in 6 cups (1.5 L) broth and the tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the beans, bows and corn. Boil gently, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in the remaining broth, the spinach, jalapeno peppers, lime zest and juice; remove from the heat. (Add extra broth and lime juice to adjust consistency and acidity to taste if desired). Garnish with fresh coriander (if using).
1. Leftover soup is great to pack for lunches the next day.
2. For those who love spicy foods, increase the number of jalapeno peppers or stir in the seeds as well.
Per serving (about 1 1/3 cups/325 mL): 234 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrates, 10 g fibre, 10 g sugars, 10 g protein. Excellent source of folate. Good source of vitamin C and iron.