Avocado and Chicken Club Sandwich
You’ll love our healthy spin on the classic chicken club.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4||20 minutes||2 minutes|
- 12 slices multigrain bread
- 5 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 110 g iceberg lettuce finely shredded
- 110 g cooked chicken breast skin removed, sliced
- 4 slices prosciutto cut into strips
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 orange peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch arugula or watercress tough stalks discarded
- 1/3 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tsp pumpkin seeds toasted in a frying pan for 2 minutes, without oil
- pepper to taste
- Spread 4 slices of bread with half of the mayonnaise. Divide the shredded lettuce among the slices, then add the sliced chicken breasts.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan and dry-fry the strips of prosciutto for 1–2 minutes or until crisp and curly. Pile on top of the chicken and season with pepper. Spread the remaining mayonnaise on another 4 slices of bread and put these, mayonnaise-side down, on the chicken and prosciutto.
- Mash the avocado flesh with the lime juice. Divide among the sandwiches, spooning onto the uppermost layer of bread and spreading out roughly. Top with the chopped orange, arugula, alfalfa sprouts and pumpkin seeds. Place the final slices of bread on top. Press down gently, then cut each avocado and chicken club sandwich in half or into quarters before serving.
- For fruity chicken club sandwiches, replace the top deck of avocado, orange, arugula, alfalfa sprouts and pumpkin seeds on each sandwich with 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter, 1⁄2 sliced banana sprinkled with a little lemon juice, 2 fresh dates, skinned and chopped, and 1 teaspoon chopped parsley.
20 g protein
21 g total fat
4 g saturated fat
32 mg cholesterol
43 g total carbohydrate
10 g sugars
6 g fibre
1085 mg sodium