Use this light stock as a base for delicate soups and sauces, and in risottos and similar dishes.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tbsp butter
- 250 g leeks roughly chopped
- 250 g onions roughly chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- Several sprigs fresh thyme
- Several sprigs fresh parsley
- 250 g carrots roughly chopped
- 150 g celery roughly chopped
- 5 black peppercorns
- 8 cups water
- Melt the butter in a large pot or stockpot over a medium heat. Stir in the leeks and onions, then reduce the heat to low. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and leave the vegetables to cook gently for 20 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Tie the herbs together into a bouquet garni. Add itto the pot with the carrots, celery, peppercorns and water. Increase the heat and bring slowly to a boil, skimming the surface if necessary to remove any scum. As soon as the water boils, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Strain the stock into a large heatproof bowl and set aside to cool. Keep chilled or freeze.