The Creamiest Vegan Coconut & Chickpea Soup
Nothing quite says comfort like a bowl full of soup. This easy-to-serve, slow cooker meal is the perfect recipe to whip up any day of the week.
This hearty vegan soup is packed with flavour and texture. I prefer to use full-fat coconut milk because it is richer and makes the soup luscious, but use low-fat if you prefer. This dish freezes and keeps well, but add the spinach and garam masala when serving, not before.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 540 mL chickpeas drained, rinsed
- 2 each carrots finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
- 400 mL coconut milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 pinch garam masala (optional)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, cover lentils with cold water by at least 1 inch (2.5 cm). Rinse lentils and drain water, then add lentils to slow cooker. Add chickpeas, carrots, curry powder, coriander, ginger, salt, cayenne pepper and water. Stir well and pat into an even layer. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Uncover and stir well (the lentils should be smooth and dissolved). Stir in coconut milk and spinach. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 to 30 minutes or until spinach wilts. Serve sprinkled with garam masala (if desired).
Nutrients per serving: 412 calories, 19 g protein, 15 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 53 g carbs (7 g fibre), 0 mg cholesterol, 492 mg sodium