Chicken Curry with Chili Peppers
This flavourful curry gets a healthy boost from chili peppers, which are loaded with calcium and may help reduce cardiovascular risk and boost metabolism
Best Health Magazine, January/February 2010
- 6 cloves garlic
- 5 red chili peppers or 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1.5 kg chicken breast cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 large onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 tbsp powdered cardamom (or 5 seeds)
- juice from ½ lime
- ½ cup cucumber chopped
- Grind spices using a small food processor or mortar and pestle. Add to 1 cup (250 ml) of the yogurt. Marinate chicken in spice-and-yogurt mixture in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- In heavy 2-quart (2-L) pan or Dutch oven, sauté onions in vegetable oil until soft and golden brown. Add marinated chicken, cardamom and lime juice. Cover with tight-fitting lid and simmer slowly over medium heat until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining cup (250 ml) of yogurt with cucumber for a side dish, if desired. Transfer chicken to plates. Serve with basmati rice or a crispy green salad.
Per serving: 416 calories, 41 g protein, 23 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 11 g carbohydrates, 2g fibre, 124 mg cholesterol, 148 mg sodium