These protein-packed veggie burgers are made with a delicious high-fibre combo of Brazil nuts and red kidney beans, plus carrots for moistness.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 30 g fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 lemon zest pared
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 398ml can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 scallions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 Burger buns split
- 90 g baby arugula
- 1/2 English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 crisp apples peeled, quartered and cored
- 1/3 cup dried apricots chopped
- 1/3 cup mango chutney chopped if necessary
- 1 lemon juiced
- Preheat the broiler and set the shelf to the lowest position. Cover a baking tray with foil and grease it lightly with oil. Combine the nuts, carrots, parsley, garlic, lemon zest and ground coriander in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add the beans and scallions and briefly pulse the mixture, to chop the onions and crush the beans. Season to taste.
- Divide the mixture into four and shape each portion into a patty about 10 cm wide and 2 cm thick. Place on the baking tray. (The patties can be prepared ahead, cooked or uncooked, and kept chilled, if more convenient.)
- Brush the patties with half the oil, then grill for about 5 minutes until well browned and sizzling around the bottom. Turn them over and brush with the remaining oil, then grill for a further 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and turn over once again. (They tend to crack and may spread slightly, so pat them gently to keep them neat.) Grill for a final 5 minutes or until browned. Pat the patties into shape, if necessary, and leave to stand for 2-3 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, coarsely grate the apples into a bowl. Stir in the apricots, chutney and lemon juice. Toast the cut sides of the burger buns.
- Put a little arugula and cucumber on the bottom of each bun, add a patty and top with a spoonful of the chutney and a couple of onion rings. Replace the tops of the buns and serve, adding the remaining chutney and salad.
Each serving: 17 g protein, 33.5 g fat of which 6 g saturates, 73.5 g carbohydrate, 15.5 g fibre, 687 Calories