Kashmiri chicken with fruit
Sweet bananas, exotic lychees and creamy Greek yogourt are combined with chicken and spicy seasonings to make a luscious, yet healthy dish. Serve with warm nan bread.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 50 g fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 red chili peppers deseeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper deseeded and chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 500 grams/1 lb in total), cut into 2.5 cm chunks
- 300 ml diluted salt-reduced or homemade chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricots roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup Greek-style yogourt
- 4 small bananas firm, sliced
- 1 398 ml can lychees drained and halved
- 1/3 cup Flaked almonds toasted
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan and add the cinnamon, fennel and cumin. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the ginger, three-quarters of the chili peppers, the green pepper, carrots and celery. Stir well, then cover and cook gently over a low heat for 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, then add the chicken and increase the heat slightly. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes until the chicken begins to brown. Pour in the stock, add the apricots and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in the yogourt, bananas and lychees and heat through gently without boiling. Scatter the toasted flaked almonds and remaining chili pepper over the top just before serving.
Cook's tip: To prepare this dish ahead of time, make up to the end of step 2, then cool and keep chilled in the refrigerator. Reheat gently before adding the yogourt and fruit.
Each serving: 40.5 g protein, 29 g fat of which 6.5 g saturates, 48 g carbohydrate, 8 g fibre, 623 Calories