Fancy Mashed Potatoes
This vivid three-vegetable mash is based on mashed potatoes tinted and flavoured three different ways with health-giving sweet potatoes, spinach and beets.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 370 g sweet potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1.25 k all-purpose potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 300 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 can sliced beets (398 ml)
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Wrap the sweet potato chunks in a large pocket of heavy-duty foil. Combine the all-purpose potatoes, garlic and 1⁄4 cup water in a roasting pan, tossing to coat. Cover the pan with foil. Place the roasting pan and the sweet potato pocket in the oven and bake until both types of potato are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the all-purpose potatoes and the garlic to a large bowl. Add the sour cream and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Divide the potato mixture among 3 medium bowls.
- Add the spinach, lemon rind and marjoram to one bowl of potatoes and coarsely mash together.
- Drain the beets, reserving 1 tablespoon liquid. Add the beets, reserved liquid, orange rind and coriander to another bowl of potatoes and coarsely mash together.
- Add the sweet potato, ginger and cayenne pepper to the third bowl and coarsely mash together. Serve the three-vegetable mash as a side. preparation time 25 minscooking time 45 mins
Per Serving: 211 calories, 7 g protein, 6 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 33 g total carbohydrate, 9 g sugars, 6 g fibre, 190 mg sodium