Mushroom Salad with Quail Eggs
Full-flavoured shiitake mushrooms are poached with more delicate chanterelles and oyster mushrooms, then tossed with herbs and topped with softly poached quail eggs.
photo credit: shutterstock
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 French shallots thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 125 g shiitake mushrooms
- 125 g oyster mushrooms
- 125 g chanterelles
- 2 tbsp dry Marsala or medium sherry
- 150 g baby leeks or 1 medium leek, white part only, sliced
- 1 tbsp truffle or walnut oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 quail eggs
- 1 oakleaf lettuce leaves separated
- 85 g mixed fresh herbs such as rocket (arugula), sorrel and flat-leaf parsley
- Put the shallots, garlic, crushed coriander seeds and bay lead in a large saucepan. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thickly slice the shiitake mushrooms. Break the oyster mushrooms and the chanterelles into smaller pieces (leave small ones whole).
- Add the Marsala or sherry and the shiitake mushrooms to the hot stock. Gently simmer for 3 minutes, then add the chanterelles and oyster mushrooms, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove the mushrooms using a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the sliced leeks to the simmering stock and cook for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the mushrooms.
- Rapidly boil the stock for about 5 minutes, until syrupy and reduce to about 100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz). Strain the liquid through a very fine sieve into a small bowl. Whisk in the oil and lemon juice, and season with some freshly ground black pepper. Pour 1/4 cup (60 ml) of this dressing over the mushrooms and leeks, and gently toss. Leave to cool.
- Cook the eggs in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, depending on whether you prefer them soft or medium boiled. Plunge into cold water to cool, then peel.
- Put the lettuce leaves and herbs in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with remaining dressing and toss to coat. Arrange the salad leaves on one side of four plates and the mushroom mixture on the other side. Cut the eggs in half and divide among the plates. Serve at one.
Per serving: 156 calories, 8 g protein, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 g carbohydrate (7 g sugars), 5 g fibre, 336 mg sodium