Creamy Mushroom and Quinoa Salad
High in protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals quinoa is highly nutritious, with a mild flavour.
photo credit: shutterstock
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 400 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 large zucchini halved lengthwise and thickly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1/3 cup skim evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp parmesan grated
- Heat the oil olive in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, thyme and sage, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa and chicken stock, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the milk and parmesan. Cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Button, shiitake, oyster and Swiss brown mushrooms all work well with this dish.
Per serving: 476 calories, 22 g protein, 23 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 g carbohydrate (9 g sugars), 10 g fibre, 428 mg sodium