Take Your Chicken Nuggets Next-Level With a Coconut Crust
Since a blank slate of protein is more agreeable with something tasty to dunk into, we’ve got you covered with a low-sugar seasonal sweet and sour dip.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Chicken Nuggets
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup coconut unsweetened, shredded
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- Plum Cherry Sauce
- 1 cup red plums chopped
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) cherries pitted, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp reduced sodium tamari
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the coconut flour in one shallow bowl, the beaten eggs in another bowl, and the coconut, Chinese five-spice, turmeric, salt, pepper and sesame seeds in a third bowl. Season the chicken breast cubes with a pinch each of salt and pepper, then dunk each cube first in the coconut flour, then the eggs, and then the coconut mixture.
- Lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until toasty brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Meanwhile, add all of the ingredients for the plum cherry sauce to a medium saucepan with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes until the plums and cherries are very soft and falling apart. Mash to break up the chunks, and cook for an additional 2 minutes with the lid off to thicken slightly.
- Serve the chicken nuggets with the plum cherry sauce and enjoy warm.
Nutrients per serving: 524 calories, 42 g protein, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 37 g carbohydrates (13 g fibre), 73 mg cholesterol, 818 mg sodium
Best Health tip: While the optimal amount of protein is up for debate, and will depend on your age, activity level, body composition and more, aim for about 25-30 grams (about the amount in 4 ounces of chicken) per sitting.