Southwest Pork Chops
Brighten up a meal of pork chops with a medley of tomatoes, zucchini, corn and black beans.
Best Health Magazine, January/February 2010
- 4 boneless pork chops (about 1/2-in/1 cm thick and 400 g in total)
- 1 cup canned low-sodium black beans
- 1 small handful cilantro chopped
- 1 cup green zucchini diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add chops and sear, 3 minutes per side (adjust heat as necessary). Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to pan; toss in onion and zucchini. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, then pour in orange juice. Mix in tomatoes, corn, beans and dry seasonings. Bring to a boil, then return chops to pan. Cover and simmer until pork is cooked through (turn once), about 5 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture and pork chops to plates; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with mashed potatoes, if desired.
Per serving: 402 calories, 32 g protein, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 g carbohydrates, 6 g fibre, 84 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium.