Quinoa is a gluten-free, high-protein grain. This brightly-coloured quick side dish will boost your soluble-fibre intake, too. For added protein, add lactose-free cheese or a cup of lactose-free milk.
The Complete IBS Health & Diet Guide
Excerpted from The Complete IBS Health & Diet Guide by Dr. Maitreyi Raman, Angela Sirounis, Jennifer Shrubsole © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery peeled and diced
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 2 cups butternut squash diced, peeled
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook carrots and celery, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until tender. Add quinoa and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add bay leaves, broth, squash and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: Calories 192, Carbohydrates 31 g, Sugars 3 g, Fructose 1 g, Glucose 1 g, Protein 5 g, Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Total Fiber 4 g, Calcium 61 mg