Pears Grilled with Pecorino
Many cuisines have traditions of combining fruit with cheese. This recipe stems from the Tuscan combination of juicy pears with salty pecorino. With some cheese melted over the pears and the rest combined with grapes and salad leaves, the pears grilled with pecorino makes a very attractive dish.
Excerpted from Eat to Beat Diabetes, available now in the Best Health Store
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 6 cups arugula leaves removed from stems
- 1 bunch watercress (2 cups/500 mL), leaves removed from stems
- 1 cup seedless green grapes halved
- 3 oz pecorino cheese
- 2 large ripe pears such as Comice or Bartlett
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- First, make the dressing. Place the oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper into a 2-cup (500-mL) jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake until well blended. Chill the dressing until you're ready to use it.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the arugula, watercress and green grapes. Using a vegetable peeler or cheese slicer, cut the pecorino cheese into very thin slices. Roughly chop half of the slices and toss into the salad bowl. Set aside the rest of the slices for melting on the pears.
- Preheat the broiler to high and line a baking sheet with foil. Peel the pears, cut them in half and core them.
- Arrange the pear halves, cut sides down, on the baking sheet. Top the pears with the reserved cheese slices, overlapping them. Broil the pears, 6 in. (15 cm) from the heat source just until the cheese begins to bubble and turns golden, about 2 minutes. (Watch carefully, as it can burn easily!)
- Meanwhile, shake the dressing, drizzle it over the salad and toss until the leaves are coated. Mound the salad equally on 4 salad plates. Using a small spatula, carefully arrange one pear half on the top of each salad. Serve immediately while the melted cheese is warm and the greens are still crisp.
Each serving provides: calories 317, calories from fat 189, fat 21 g, saturated fat 6 g, cholesterol 23 mg, carbohydrate 28 g, fibre 4 g, sugars 21 g, protein 9 g.
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 1 1⁄2, Meat & Alternatives 1