Oat Bran and Almond Bread
For something different, try making this delicious almond bread. packed with heart-healthy oat bran
Recipe courtesy Almond Board of California
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 5- by 9-inch glass loaf pan with vegetable oil.
- Combine flour, 1 cup oat bran, bran cereal, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in soy milk, oil, vinegar and extract. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in 3/4 cup almonds.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining oat bran and almonds.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.
- Slice and serve with almond butter or your favourite topping. Wrap in plastic and store un-refrigerated up to 3 days, or freeze and store up to 2 months.
Per serving: 238 calories, 30 mg cholesterol, 13 g total fat, 3 g fiber, 1.4 g saturated fat, 44 mg calcium, 8.2 g monounsaturated fat, 47 mg magnesium, 2.6 g polyunsaturated fat, 172 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrates, 191 mg potassium, 6 g protein, 4.9 mg vitamin E*
*Total Alpha-Tocopherol Equivalents