Lentil-Spinach Salad With Feta and Grapes
Canada produces most of the world’s lentils. They are so versatile and take well to all kinds of flavours – especially vinegar – which makes them a perfect addition to any salad.
photo credit: james tse
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can small brown lentils drained and rinsed
- 1 carrot very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 8 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup seedless red grapes sliced in half
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Combine shallot with vinegar, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir and let stand for 15 minutes or until lightly pickled.
- Stir in lentils, carrot and oil. Season with pepper.
- Add spinach; toss well to combine.
- Divide among 4 plates; top with grapes and feta.
Per serving: 610 calories, 32 g protein, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 70 g carbohydrates, 31 g fibre, 33 mg cholesterol, 630 mg sodium
Originally Published in Best Health Canada