Healthy Broccoli, Cranberry & Almond Salad
I like to blanch the broccoli for this recipe to remove a bit of the crunch ‘just plunge the florets into boiling water’but you can use raw broccoli ‘if you prefer. Usually this dish would contain mayo but I’ve used low-fat yogurt instead. Even the kids will love this salad’s sweet taste!
Best Health magazine, December 2012; Photo by Maya Visnyei
- 4 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup almonds sliced
- 1 Granny smith apple grated
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch broccoli florets in boiling water for two to three minutes, if desired. Rinse in cold water and strain till dry. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- To the broccoli, add onions, dried cranberries, walnuts, almonds, apple and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, honey and lemon juice. Fold dressing into salad and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 129 calories, 4 g protein, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium