Couscous, orange and date salad
Couscous makes a brilliant base for a quick salad, as it needs only a brief soaking in hot stock (or water). Here it is combined with chickpeas, dates, oranges and pistachios for a Middle Eastern-style vegetarian dish.
|Servings||Prep Time||Passive Time|
- 1 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup diluted salt-reduced or homemade vegetable stock hot, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 oranges
- 3/4 of a 540ml can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried dates roughly chopped, pitted
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- Citrus Dressing
- 1/2 tsp orange zest grated
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- Put the couscous into a large bowl, pour over the hot vegetable stock and set aside for 10 minutes until all the stock is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, put the grated orange zest into a bowl, add the rest of the dressing ingredients and whisk together. Season to taste.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and drizzle the dressing over the top while the couscous is still warm.
- Cut the pith away from the oranges, then cut out the segments between the membranes, placing the fruit on a plate to catch all the juices. Cut each segment in half.
- Stir the oranges, their juice, the chickpeas, dates, pistachios and 2 tablespoons of the mint into the couscous. Season to taste, then leave to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour to allow the flavours to mingle. Scatter the remaining mint over the top just before serving.
Each serving: 10.5 g protein, 18 g fat of which 2.5 g saturates, 39 g carbohydrate, 9.5 g fibre, 378 Calories