Baked Lamb-Stuffed Zucchini
Lamb also tastes great when baked. In this tasty dish, minced lamb is mixed with all sorts of lovely flavorings, then baked inside zucchini.
photo credit: shutterstock
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 large zucchini each about 1/2 pound
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp fresh mint chopped (optional)
- 12 oz lean minced lamb
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped, or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulpy center with a teaspoon, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Roughly chop the pulp.
- Place the zucchini shells in a shallow baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until tender when pierced.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 12 to 15 minutes until just tender. Drain, allow to stand for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, egg, mint, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Sauté the lamb over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more until the onion has softened. Stir in the tomato sauce, reserved zucchini pulp, and rosemary. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the rice mixture and mix well.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into the zucchini shells and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and crispy on top. Serve immediately.