Almond Crusted Pumpkin Fritters
These tasty morsels are a unique pairing of pumpkin, chilli flakes, and cheese, and are coated with toasted crushed almonds for an added crunch in every bite.
Photo courtesy of Almond Board of California
- 1 lb Kabocha squash cooked, (1 small raw)
- 1⁄2 lb russet potato cooked, (1 large raw)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp crushed chili flake
- 1 cup salt
- 3 tbsp sage chopped
- 1 oz parmesan grated
- 1 oz cheddar grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 eggs
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds toasted crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag micro greens
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 tsp Thai chili finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black pepper
- Set oven to 350°F (190°C). Split squash width-wise and scrape out seeds. Drizzle each half with olive oil, and sprinkle with chili flakes, a pinch of salt and pepper and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stab each potato four times around with a fork. Line another sheet pan with the cup of salt and place the potatoes on top. Place squash face-down on a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Bake both squash and potatoes in the oven for 1 hour or until soft. Remove from the oven, carefully split open potatoes lengthwise to steam, and allow all to cool completely.
- When cool, scoop out squash and potato into bowl and add sage, parmesan, cheddar, egg and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly; a chunky texture is fine.
- Prepare fritters for frying. Set up three bowls and one parchment lined sheet tray. In one bowl, whisk together eggs; place almonds and flour separately in two other bowls.
- With a large spoon or scoop, take about 2 tbsp (30 mL) of squash mixture and form an oval; dredge in flour, dip in egg and roll in almonds before placing onto the sheet pan. Repeat with remaining squash and refrigerate until ready to fry.
- In a deep, heavy bottomed pan, heat oil to 300°F (150°C) and carefully pan fry the fritters until golden brown on each side, approximately 2 1⁄2 minutes each side. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Serve hot on a small bed of microgreens with or without sauce.
- In a bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for at least one day before serving. Mix thoroughly before serving.
Per serving: 169.3 calories, 10.4 g fat (1.7 g saturated fat), 6.4 g protein, 14.1 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fibre, 56 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium