Lentil and Sausage Salad
Tiny green puy lentils have a slightly nutty texture and flavour. They keep their shape well once cooked, making them perfect in salads. Here they are mixed with sausages and Mediterranean vegetables, plus a handful of fresh rocket.
photo credit: shutterstock
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 1/2 cups French-style green (puy) lentils
- 2 red bell peppers halved lengthwise
- 4 zucchini halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g good-quality sausages
- 2 small red or white onions cut into wedges
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 300 g new potatoes scrubbed and diced
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp German or dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup rocket (arugula)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Rinse the lentils and add them to a large saucepan of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and gently simmer for 25 minutes, until just tender. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- While the lentils are cooking, preheat the grill (broiler) to high. Rub the skins of the red peppers and zucchini with a little of the oil. Arrange the vegetables, skin side up, in the grill pan in a single layer. Add the sausages and cook, turning the sausages occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until the sausages are cooked and browned on all sides and the vegetables are tender. Transfer the red peppers to a plastic bag and leave until cool enough to handle, then remove from the bag and peel off the skins.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and add the onions, celery, garlic and potatoes. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- Roughly chop the sausages, red peppers, and zucchini, then add them to the pan along with the lentils, thyme, parsley, vinegar and mustard. Stir well, adding a little of the lentil cooking water to slightly moisten the mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and serve warm or cool, tossing with the rocket just before serving.
Per serving: 507 calories, 25 g protein, 32 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 32 g carbohydrate (4 g sugars), 12 g fibre, 778 mg sodium