Grilled Shrimp Soft Tacos
If you’re purchasing your shrimp fresh, be sure to devein them. This means gently pulling out the dark intestinal tract along the back of each shrimp. For frozen shrimp, it will say on the bag whether they have been deveined.
Best Health Magazine, Summer 2012; Photo by Maya Visnyei
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch Salt and pepper
- 8 metal skewers
- 32 medium raw shrimp deveined and tails removed
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 tomato seeds removed and thinly sliced
- Handful cilantro leaves
- 8 6-in. whole-wheat soft tortillas
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together cumin, chili powder, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add shrimp to mixture and stir until coated.
- Skewer four shrimp on each skewer, and cook for three minutes on each side until shrimp are cooked through and pink.
- In another medium bowl, mix together red onion, avocado, tomato and cilantro, and divide among eight tortillas. Top each with four grilled shrimp and fold over. Place two tacos on each of four plates.
Per serving: 365 calories, 16 g protein, 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 g carbohydrates, 6 g fibre, 73 mg cholesterol, 491 mg sodium