Delicious Spicy Black Bean Soup
This spicy black bean soup has a wonderful texture, and the cilantro adds freshness to this spicy dish.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely diced jalapenos
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced red peppers
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves diced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chili pepper
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels cooked or canned
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 lime juiced
- handful cilantro diced
- In a heavy stock pot over medium heat, add olive oil, jalapeño peppers, onions, carrots, red peppers, celery and garlic, and sauté gently until carrots soften.
- Add cumin, chili powder, beans, corn, vegetable stock and tomatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup (250 mL) of mixture and whir in blender, then return to pot.
- Add lime juice and cilantro, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 625 calories, 33 g protein, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 108 g carbohydrates, 25 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium