Roasted Asparagus and Red Peppers with Parmesan
This is a great recipe either on its own or as a side dish. Asparagus is loaded with fibre, folate and vitamins, and it is also a standout source of chromium, a trace mineral that helps insulin to more easily transport sugar into cells.
Best Health magazine, January/February 2014; Image: Travis Rathbone
- 12 large stalks asparagus woody ends either peeled or snapped off
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Parmesan cheese A few shavings
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Place asparagus and bell pepper strips in a large shallow baking pan. Drizzle with oil. Toss to coat.
- Roast until crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with vinegar. Toss to coat. Top vegetables with cheese, and season with black pepper.
Per serving: 86 calories, 5 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 6 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 2 g fibre, 140 mg sodium.