Pumpkin Spice Bars
These flavors are then accented by warming spices such as cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to create a treat that’s as comforting as it is healthy.
Light and fluffy, these fall-inspired bars boast a complex flavor profile that combines the earthy taste of pumpkin with the deeper taste of dark chocolate.
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 6 tbsp coconut palm sugar (Use brown sugar instead, if preferred.)
- 1 tbsp almond milk unsweetened
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips (To make this recipe for dairy free, use vegan dark chocolate.)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C) and prepare an 8 x 8-inch (20.3 x 20.3-cm) baking pan by lining it with a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal.
- Lightly grease the foil and set aside.
- Add the pumpkin puree, eggs, almond butter, sugar, almond milk, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to a high-speed blender, and process on high for about 10 seconds or until all of the ingredients are combined and the mixture is smooth. Add the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder, and continue processing for about 30–40 seconds until the batter becomes smooth and creamy. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips by hand, reserving a couple tablespoons to sprinkle on the top. The batter will be a little thick and paste-like, which is normal.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared pan and use a spatula to distribute it evenly before topping with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 25–27 minutes, until the bars begin to turn golden brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and let them cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Use a sharp knife to cut them into individual bars and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Nutrients per serving: 97 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 54 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates (11 g sugar, 1 g fibre), 2 g protein
This Pumpkin Spice Bars recipe is from Easy Flourless Muffins, & Bars & Cookies by Amanda Drozdz, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017