Garam masala is a spice mix that’s a staple in Punjabi-Indian dishes. This recipe, which I got from my mother, is my secret ingredient in homemade guacamole.
Web exclusive: August 2009
- 8 oz cumin seeds
- 8 oz coriander seeds
- 1 4 inch stick cinnamon
- 4 whole black cardamom seeds
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 5 curry leaves (found in Indian grocery stores)
- Combine all ingredients together in a mortar or coffee grinder. Blend until the mixture becomes a powder. Run through a sieve to remove any large bits.
- Store in an airtight container, away from direct heat (if stored correctly, it will not go bad). The spices can also be pre-toasted in a dry saucepan before blending for a smokier flavour.