Citrus chicken and pineapple kebabs
Lemon zest and crushed cardamom seeds add a lovely flavour to marinated, grilled chicken kebabs, threaded with juicy chunks of fresh pineapple and grape tomatoes and served with crunchy pita chips.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
- 1 lemon zest grated and juiced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 green cardamom pods crushed and pods discarded
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- Pita Chips
- 4 white or whole wheat pita breads
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh mixed herbs or 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs, chopped
- Mix together the lemon zest and juice, oil, honey, cardamom seeds and chopped cilantro in a shallow dish. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat well, then cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Soak 12 bamboo skewers in cold water (to prevent them from burning on the grill).
- To make the pita chips, preheat the grill to medium. Cut each pita bread across in half, then split into two layers. Mix together the oil, garlic and herbs and lightly brush each piece of pita on both sides with the oil mixture. Place the pita on the rack in a grill tray (you may need to do this in two batches). Grill for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp, turning once. Place on a plate and keep warm, or transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Thread the chicken, pineapple and tomatoes alternately onto the skewers, dividing the ingredients evenly. Grill for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Brush the kebabs regularly with the marinade to prevent them from drying out. Serve with the pita chips.
Cook's tip: You can prepare this up until the end of step 2 a day in advance.
Variations: Other citrus fruits would be good in the marinade, such as 1 small orange with 1 lemon, or 3 limes in place of the lemons. If you have some button mushrooms, they could also be threaded onto the skewers or used instead of the cherry tomatoes.
Each serving: 30.5 g protein, 30 g fat of which 5 g saturates, 44.5 g carbohydrate, 8.5 g fibre, 590 Calories