Chicken in Tikka Masala Yogurt Sauce
Apricots, almonds and a spicy yogurt marinade bring chicken breasts to life. Serve with a side of your favourite vegetables or rice
Best Health Magazine, Summer 2009; Photo courtesy of Sir Corp.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup ginger chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro (reserve some to garnish)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp garam masala (find in the international food aisle)
- 4 150g skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp almonds sliced
- 1 tbsp apricots sliced
- For marinade, combine yogurt, honey, ginger, cilantro, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne and garam masala, and pulse in a food processor. Set aside 1/2 cup (125 ml). Marinate chicken with remainder of sauce for 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Before cooking, wipe off excess yogurt sauce, and discard marinade. Sear chicken in non-stick pan and place on baking tray to finish cooking in 350°F oven for eight minutes.
- Transfer to four plates and spoon reserved marinade overtop. Sprinkle almonds and apricots on each breast. Finish plates with a sprig of cilantro. Serve with vegetables or rice.
Per serving: 427 calories, 59 g protein, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 162 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium