Cheesy Cod and Potato Bake
Here’s a really simple supper dish of smoked cod with a crispy topping of sliced potatoes finished with cheese. Peas and leeks add vitamins, minerals and fibre.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 1/3 lb small new potatoes scrubbed
- 1 lb skinless, smoked cod fillets
- 1 tbsp fresh chives snipped
- 2/3 cup diluted or homemade fish stock hot
- 1 1/2 cups fresh shelled or frozen peas thawed if necessary
- 4 small leeks trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup aged cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with boiling water and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until just tender. Drain.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut the fish into large chunks and arrange in the base of a greased, large shallow ovenproof dish. Season with pepper and sprinkle the chives over the top. Pour in the hot stock, then scatter with the peas and leeks.
- Thinly slice the parboiled potatoes and arrange in an even layer over the fish and vegetables. Season again with freshly ground black pepper. (There's no need to season with salt as the fish is quite salty.) Cover with a lid or a piece of greased foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 450°F (230°C). Sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes, then return the dish to the oven and bake for a further 5'10 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve.
Tip: To prepare ahead, use chilled rather than hot stock to assemble the dish, then cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 12 hours before cooking. Add an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Per serving: 296 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 31.5 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 8 g fibre