Beef And Almond Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Looking for a fun way to sneak more vegetables into family meals? Kids will devour these tasty and crunchy zucchini boats’and parents will love that they’re loaded with nutrients as well as flavour
- 1/4 cup bulgur wheat uncooked
- 4 medium zucchini (about ½ pound, 227 g each)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced (about 1 cup, 250 mL)
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef (at least 90% lean)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp golden raisins
- 1 14.5 oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes strained, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped, plus 1 tablespoon (15 ml) for garnish
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190ºC). Cook the bulgur according to the directions on the package. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they are fragrant and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Allow them to cool then chop them coarsely.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they are soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon into small pieces, until it is nearly all browned, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) of the salt and cook for 1 minute more. Add the cooked bulgur, raisins and strained diced tomatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds and 1/4 cup (50 ml) of the parsley.
- Combine the reserved tomato juice, tomato sauce and remaining 1/2 tsp (2 ml) of salt in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the zucchini boats into the dish, cut side up, on top of the sauce and fill each zucchini boat generously with the beef mixture. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more, until the zucchini is cooked through but still slightly firm.
- To serve, place 2 zucchini halves on a plate and drizzle with tomato sauce and garnish with parsley.
Per serving, 2 zucchini halves and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tomato sauce: Calories: 320, Total fat: 14 g, Saturated fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated fat: 8 g, Polyunsaturated fat: 2 g, Protein: 19 g, Carbodyfrates: 31 g, Fibre: 8 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Sodium: 660 mg, Calcium: 112 mg, Magnesium: 95 mg, Potassium: 1014 mg, Vitamin E: 3.9 mg