Breakfast Sandwiches with Smashed Avocado
Breakfast Sandwiches are an easy grab-and-go meal.
One smashed avocado makes enough for four servings – it can be made, covered and refrigerated the night before for speedy assembly in the morning. A slice of cheddar or Swiss cheese can be added, if desired.
- tsp avocado oil or coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 4 slices whole-grain bread toasted
- 2 slices Black Forest ham
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1 tsp lime juice or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce if desired
- Smashed Avocado: In a bowl, use the back of a fork to lightly mash avocado until fairly creamy, with some smaller chunks remaining. Stir in tomato, lime juice, salt, pepper and hot sauce (if using).
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat; brush with oil. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with 1 tsp (5 mL) water; pour into skillet. Cook, stirring, until large curds form and eggs are set, about 3 minutes.
- To assemble, layer 2 of the toast slices with ham; divide and mound scrambled egg on each and top with Smashed Avocado. Sandwich with remaining toast slices. (Or divide and wrap everything inside 2 wraps instead).
Per serving: 403 calories, 22 g protein, 23 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 g carbohydrates, 8 g fibre, 328 mg cholesterol, 584 mg sodium