A Colourful Beet Salad with Yogurt Poppy Seed Dressing
Jewel tones of purple, orange and green blend together to create this easy yet elegant summer salad.
Photo Credit: Yvonne Duivenvoorden
- 8 beets medium-sized (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 2 navel oranges small in size
- 3 tbsp mint leaves fresh, lightly packed
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled and unsalted
- Poppy Seed Dressing
- 3 tbsp low-fat plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp liquid honey
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place beets in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and cook beets until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and let cool. Peel and trim beets; cut crosswise into ¼-inch (5 mm) thick slices.
- Cut peel and pith off oranges; thinly slice crosswise into ½-inch (1 cm) rounds, removing any seeds.
Poppy Seed Dressing
- In a bowl, whisk yogurt, oil, vinegar, honey and poppy seeds; add salt and pepper to taste. Arrange overlapping sliced beets and oranges on a platter. Drizzle with dressing; sprinkle with mint and pistachios.
Nutrition facts per serving: 171 calories, 4 g protein, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 g carbohydrates (5 g fibre), 1 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium.
Original recipe was published in Best Health's May 2015 issue.