15 healthy snack ideas for road trips
Dietitian Sue Mah has healthy snack ideas for road trips that the whole family will love
1. Pack some protein
It will help you feel full and alert.
• peanut butter and jam sandwiches
• pita pockets stuffed with turkey, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce
• smoked salmon pinwheels made with whole-wheat wraps
• whole-grain crackers with cheddar
• low-fat muffins with single-serving containers of yogurt
2. Load up on fruit and veggies
They’re full of disease-fighting antioxidants. Plus, their high water content will help you stay hydrated.
3. Make it personal
Ask your kids to help make their own snacks and lunches. They’ll be more likely to eat it, which will make it even easier for you to zip right past those fast-food stops.
• trail mix made with any combo of: popcorn, shredded coconut, low-fat granola, whole-grain cereal, sunflower seeds, nuts and dried fruit
• milk or chocolate milk in a stainless steel water bottle
4. Keep it safe, clean and litter-less
• ice packs to keep food cold
• hand sanitizer or antibacterial wipes
• reusable containers and cutlery
If you’re destined for the fast-food stop, eat wisely.
• a small burger instead of the jumbo combo
• a salad instead of fries (go easy on the dressing)
• milk or water instead of pop
• your own piece of fruit for dessert