A Spring-Perfect Recipe for Pea and Basil Pesto
Spread this pesto on grilled bread and top with burrata, ripe tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil.
Pesto is a flavour-rich sauce (thanks to ingredients like fresh herbs and roasted nuts) that can elevate so many dishes. Here’s how to make pesto with peas and basil.
Pea and Basil Pesto
Makes: 1 cup prep time: 5 minutes cook time: 10 minutes
- ⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 tsp salt
1. Add pine nuts to a small skillet set over medium heat. Toast, tossing frequently, until lightly golden and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Combine pine nuts, peas and garlic in the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse until peas and nuts are mostly broken down. Add olive oil, lemon juice, basil and salt and continue to pulse, scraping down the sides of the food processor or blender as needed, until well combined and smooth. Avoid over-blending, this can cause the basil to bruise and turn brown.
3. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, covered with a thin layer of olive oil, for up to three days.
Tip: Try swapping out pine nuts for walnuts or blanched almonds and basil for mint or arugula.