The big question for dear husband and me has been, How do we make a fitness plan part of our life? We have tried working out at work, at home, running outside, and at the YMCA… all them sort of work for a while, but we are realizing we need to make a “made for us” solution to stick to it. We have discovered we like exercise machines at home the best. So this week, à la eBay, we have ordered a recumbent bike to go with our treadmill. The “team approach” of working out together has worked very well for us – to my surprise! I also convinced dear husband to get some different running shorts and we did the Lululemon shopping trip… they passed the man test! Best shorts he’s ever owned, he said, and we’re going back for more.
So, the lessons learned so far are:
1. Figure out what works for you.
2. Engage a like-minded friend to be a partner.
3. Make sure you are comfortable in your exercise gear.
4. Give yourself a little push to jazz it up a bit.
5. On vacation, book a hotel with a gym.
6. Variety – mix it up a bit between inside and outside.
7. Keep it simple: you’re not competing against anyone, you are only trying to get healthy.
Today, I did my first 45-minute workout on the treadmill… 30 minutes of running straight, followed by 15 minutes of brisk walking. It’s been years since I could do that – I was thrilled to bits!
Life is good
Jordan is a Best Health reader and guest blogger. Find links to all of her posts on the Breast Cancer Blog home page.