The Best Health holiday gift guide
Our 2012 holiday gift guide has something for everyone
Gifts for looking great
Your friend sister or mom will be charmed with these gifts, from the glam to the cozy.
1. A Swarovski crystal pendant on a rhodium-plate chain is encrusted with black crystal "chantons." Swarovski "Mini Poison" pendant necklace ($150). Available at Swarovski
2. Sterling silver combines with Tiffany blue enamel for this charm and chain. Tiffany skate charm ($220) and chain ($55). Available at Tiffany
3. Zirconia adorns a sterling silver snowflake on a sterling chain; Thomas Sabo. Thomas Sabo snowflake charm ($169) and chain ($34). Available at Thomas Sabo
More gifts for looking great
4. This Joe Fresh toque is nylon/acrylic/wool. Joe Fresh hat ($16).
5. Brush set from Joe Fresh comes with its own case. Joe Fresh brush set
and case ($10).
6. Bourjois eye palette in Bleu Nuit has three shades to illuminate, sculpt and blend. Bourjois Paris Smoky Eyes eyeshadow palette ($27, 4.5 g).
7. Inspired by calligraphy, this Guerlain compact has two dramatic red lip shades, three iridescent eyeshadows and a black liner. Guerlain "Liu" eye and lip palette ($80, 4.6 g).
8. These gloves from Banana Republic are leather and calf's hair. Banana Republic gloves ($95).
9. Stila click-pen-dispenser lip glazes range from subtle to dazzling. Stila All is Bright Lip Glaze Set ($33, 8 x 1.5 mL).
10. This on-trend cable-knit by Old Navy is a soft polyester/wool blend. Old Navy sweater ($28).
11. A bow detail gives this made-in-Canada leather belt by Brave a feminine twist. Brave belt ($80).
12. Read about and see Grace Kelly's style as an actress, bride and princess; Indigo. Grace Kelly Style book ($46 at Indigo).
13. The Body Shop's festive-scented bath soak gives a "lustrous shimmer." The Body Shop bath crystals in Ginger Sparkle ($20, 300 g).
14. "Tatu" triple-wrap artisan bracelet (by Me to We, charitable partner to Free the Children) is made in Kenya of leather, glass beads and aluminum accent. Me To We bracelet ($30).
15. Crabtree & Evelyn's fragrance blends black tea, spices, leather and wood notes. Crabtree & Evelyn Himalayan Blue eau de toilette ($45, 100 mL).
16. Peace, Love and Joy soaps from Indigo nestle in a pretty box. Spirit of Holidays soap set ($32 at Indigo, 3 x 170 g).
17. Roots' leather cross-body bag in royal blue perks up any wardrobe. Roots "Edie" bag ($78).
18. This Soap & Glory caddy in- cludes soap and hand cream. Soap & Glory Cream and Soaper ($18 for set, 250 mL each).
19. O.P.I pays homage to James Bond in shades You Only Live Twice, Live and Let Die, and Goldeneye. O.P.I nail polishes ($10 each, 15 mL).
Gifts for healthy living
Ideas for the fitness buff, yoga guru and winter warrior in your life.
1. The cozy Thinsulate-filled linings of these lightweight Teva boots pull out to be worn as slippers indoors. How cool! Teva snow boots ($200).
More gifts for healthy living
2. This Gap hoodie with brushed jersey interior is warm and moisture-wicking, perfect for the year-round jogger. Gap Fit long-sleeve hoodie ($55).
3. The sensor in these Tractivity insoles wirelessly uploads run or walk data so you can monitor progress. Tractivity run training kit with sensor and insoles ($70).
4. A waterproof Ion HD video camera equipped with?mounts for helmets or handlebars will thrill extreme-sports enthusiasts. The action can be shared online with friends instantly via WiFi. Ion Air Pro Action Camera ($260).
5. A down-filled Oakley vest is an essential layering piece for outdoor fun. Oakley quilted vest ($100).
6. Earphones are sewn right into the lining of this snug Old Navy headband. Active by Old Navy headband with earphones ($16).
7. Seven workouts on one DVD: This core-focused Shiva Rea yoga video promises flat abs. Shiva Rea Core Yoga DVD ($23).
8. A petite 22-inch rod from Canadian Tire is the right length to perch over an ice-fishing hole. What better way to enjoy winter? Frabill ice fishing rod ($40 at Canadian Tire [lure not included]).
9. This neon Timex sports watch has interval timers, workout data storage and a ventilated strap. Timex Ironman Triathlon 50-Lap Sleek watch ($90).
10. The three interchangeable tubes in this set of Perfect Fitness resistance bands can be used anywhere. Perfect Fitness Resistance Band System ($25).
11. A hand sanitizer as a gift? Yes-especially if it's this pretty one from beauty brand Jurlique. Jurlique Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer ($15, 175 mL).
12. This stocking stuffer hydrates: A squirt of the juice concentrate from MiO adds zip to water. MiO liquid water enhancers (each $4, 48 mL/24 servings).
13. The glass water bottle in a silicone sleeve from bkr (pronounced "beaker") comes in many colours, but a portion of the proceeds from the yellow one benefits the Canary Foundation, dedicated to early cancer detection. bkr 500-mL glass water bottle ($30).
14. A Mountain Equipment Co-op tote for the yogi-on-the-go has an adjustable strap for a mat. Prana's extra-thick Eco mat is biodegradable. MEC yoga tote ($44) and Prana Eco mat ($41, both at Mountain Equipment Co-op).
15. Bushnell's GPS/digital compass tracks hike or run routes and stores up to five locations. Bushnell Backtrack D-Tour GPS device ($150).
16. Pink-and-orange cushioned weight-training gloves from Jogi are cute and functional. Jogi training gloves ($15).
Gifts for healthy eating
Kitchen comforts for the foodie, from handy gadgets to sweets and spices.
1. Prepare everything from holiday cookies to pizza dough-and add a vintage vibe to any countertop-with a KitchenAid mixer in a bright colour. KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer ($500 at Canadian Tire).
More gifts for healthy eating
2. Holiday sweaters aren't just for people: This teapot with cozy from PC Home has its own holiday couture. President's Choice Tea for One w/cozy ($10).
3. Holiday herbs and spices from Spice Trader make flavourful stocking stuffers. Spice Trader Holiday Herbs & Spices ($50 for set of 8).
4. Iconic British brand Kenwood, now in Canada, makes this 1.6-litre kettle with a flip lid for easy filling. The stunning design (and colour options) are an added bonus. Kenwood kMix Kettle ($100).
5. Tealish's Oh Christmas tea is a comforting blend of holiday fruit and spices. Tealish Holiday Teas ($15).
6. These artful linen tea towels from The Bay are a bright addition to any kitchen. Ulster Weaver's tea towels ($15 each at The Bay).
7. Enjoy preserves at breakfast from this pretty aluminum-and-brass lidded jam jar (with spoon) from Indigo. Indigo Pear Jam Jar ($30).
9. Beautiful Cuisinart covered ceramic mini pots make single servings easy (and adorable). Cuisinart Ceramic Minis ($20 each at Canadian Tire).
10. A quesadilla maker from Hamilton Beach is an easy, no-mess way to make a family favourite. Hamilton Beach Quesadilla Maker ($30).
11. Crafted from glazed stoneware, the owl cookie jar from West Elm is a cute addition to the countertop. West Elm Owl Cookie Jar ($41).
12. Dark chocolate is a healthy gift in any holiday stocking-and these Camino bars are fair trade and organic. Camino dark chocolate ($4 each).
13. This gluten-free cookbook has 60 festive recipes (Raincoast). Gluten-Free Baking for the Holidays book ($29).
14. Gold sparkles on these stemless champagne glasses from Indigo add a bit of glamour. Indigo Gold Sparkling Champagne Flutes ($37 for 4).
15. There is nothing like homemade pizza; a ceramic Emile Henry pizza stone holds heat, keeping food warm. Pair it with Cuisipro's pizza wheel. Emile Henry Pizza Stone ($50); Cuisipro Pizza Wheel ($20).
Gifts for a happy home
Our picks include ideas for music lovers, neat freaks and gadget gurus.
1. Monster brand's headphones have amazing clarity, and the comfy ear cushions have an exterior that looks like big diamonds-cool! Monster Diamond Tears Edge On-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones ($350 at Best Buy).
More gifts for a happy home
2. This J+ handset for smartphones from PC Home has a retro vibe and is available in five colours. J+ Handset for smartphones ($9 at PC Home).
3. Kids will spend hours outside with Sno Stompers snowshoes from Indigo that leave "bear tracks." Sno Stompers for Kids ($25 at Indigo).
4. Cuddle up for storytime with this Canadian children's book, from Hatley Stores, about a bear who can't stop hugging. So sweet! Big Bear Hug children's book by Nicholas Oldland ($17 at Hatley Stores).
5. iPad users will love this stylish leather case from Sears that doubles as a stand. Leather iPad case ($25 at Sears).
6. Give the auto enthusiast in your life this ArmorAll wet/dry hand vacuum for car interiors. ArmorAll Hand Vacuum for Car ($20 at Canadian Tire).
7. This Zippo hand warmer can be slipped into a pocket or glove-perfect for anyone who works outdoors. Zippo Hand Warmer ($30 at Canadian Tire).
8. A water-resistant shell from Moleskine keeps keys in easy reach; it fastens to handbag or backpack straps. Moleskine small shell case ($20).
9. Fans of Scrabble will enjoy these fridge magnets from Drake General Store. Scrabble fridge magnets ($15 at Drake General Store).
10. Treat your furry friend like a star with pet-food tins from PC Home (scoop included). Cat & Dawg food tins ($10-$20 at PC Home).
11. Nature-inspired sticky notes from Canadian company B.B. Begonia come in pretty designs. Cherry Blossom sticky notes ($2.50-$8 per pad at B.B. Begonia).
12. Samsung's Galaxy S III phone case is Swarovski-studded. Samsung Galaxy ?S III phone case ($30).
13. Perfect for busy families, this video memo pad from Indigo attaches to metal surfaces. Just Play Video Memo Pad ($50 at Indigo).
14. A holiday-themed soap dispenser from PC Home is a nice hostess gift. Soap (or lotion) dispenser ($5 at PC Home).
15. Take the chill off with WalMart's super-soft throw. Popcorn throw ($10 at Wal-Mart).
16. These PC Home J+ headphones are a bargain gift for tweens. J+ Headphones ($19 at PC Home).
17. Samsung's Galaxy Note is a gadget guru's dream: a tablet/mobile phone hybrid. Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone ($200).