Gerard Butler tries a natural anti-inflammation remedy – only to get stung!
Gwyneth Paltrow has done it. And Actor Gerard Butler wanted to do it. And he did. He just didn’t get the results he wanted.
Butler shared last week that after trying apitherapy, that is getting treated with bee venom injection, he went into anaphylactic shock and had to be taken to the hospital.
And not just once, but twice. The remedy of getting injected with the venom from bee stings is said to help ease muscle aches, and Butler had just finished a 12-hour day of doing stunt work for his upcoming movie Geostorm. He dished about the incident on a talk show, as reported by The Guardian.
What the heck is apitherapy?
Apitherapy has been a practice for centuries, although it originally involved placing live bees on inflamed areas. Nowadays, the venom is extracted from the bees and then injected in to the patient.
It’s claimed to also be helpful for multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, skin lesions and chronic hives.
The aftermath of a bee venom injection
Butler said that he’d heard about a guy who does bee venom injections for anti-inflammatory treatments, and decided to ask him to come to New Orleans where he was filming. Butler got 10 shots, and then had an allergic reaction. “It’s awful, creepy crawlies all over me, swelled up, heart’s going to explode. But I go through with it, and then I find out he gave me 10 times too much,” he said.
He was taken to the hospital, but the star didn’t seem to learn his lesson, as four days later, thinking he probably just was given too much the first time, he chose to try the bee venom injections another time. Which landed him in the hospital again with an anaphylactic reaction. (By the way, If you get a bee sting – and aren’t allergic – here is how to help relieve the pain of the sting).
While science has yet to boost this natural remedy, it looks like it’s a stinger to try.