Six more weeks of winter and I’m not complaining…
So the groundhog got it wrong, says Canada’s chief weatherman, Dave Phillips. While last week was supposed to mark the
So the groundhog got it wrong, says Canada’s chief weatherman, Dave Phillips. While last week was supposed to mark the first day of spring, Environment Canada is warning us not to put those snow shovels, warm coats and boots away just yet. As a definite hot weather fan, it’s enough to make me want to cry icicles (not to mention hole up in my condo till July). And for you West Coasters who had a decent long weekend, you’re supposed to have a colder-than-normal May — ha!
There’s a small body of research to show that griping has its benefits (it bonds us in social situations, can push us to make positive changes when we’re unhappy), and heaven knows complaining about the weather is as Canadian as hockey and the Tragically Hip. But I’m tired of whining. While I’m itching for spring along with the rest of you, here’s a list of positives I’ve come up with about our prolonged deep freeze. It’s not much, but hey, I’m trying to see the bright side…
1. I won’t feel guilty when I opt for a massage over gardening. The ground’s frozen anyway.
2. Longer days assure me that spring is coming… eventually!
3. In the mean time, I’m springing things up with short, bright fingernails and brightening up my winter black wardrobe with colourful accessories.
4. I can hit snooze one extra time every morning since I’m not wearing any of my spring skirts and don’t have to shave my legs.
5. By the time I’m in the mood for spring shopping, it’ll all be on sale.
6. In the mean time, I can truly say the new winter coat I got this year has been one of my best investments ever. And for all you skiers, the season’s going strong.
7. Here in Toronto (Ottawa and Montreal too), we still have a shot at beating the record for the snowiest winter. Not that I want more white stuff. But after the season we’ve had, don’t we deserve bragging rights for the Worst. Winter. Ever?
8. Think how much better that first after-work beer on a patio is going to taste when you finally get to enjoy it… in June!
How are you coping with what feels like the longest winter ever? Email us your comments and we’ll post them below.