Best Health meal plan lunches
Seven delicious lunches on our meal plan
Source: Web exclusive: March 2008
Pick one of these options for lunch each day. Each choice totals approximately 350 calories.
- Greek salad—1 cup/250 mL lettuce, 1 diced tomato, ½ cup/125 mL diced cucumber, 2 ounces/50 g lower-fat feta cheese tossed with 1 tablespoon/15 mL oil and vinegar dressing
- 1 ounce/25 g whole wheat grain pita
- 1 apple
- Turkey sandwich—3 ounces/85 grams roast turkey breast, 1 tablespoon/15 mL light mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon/5 mL mustard, 3 tomato slices, 3 rings sweet raw onion, and 1 lettuce leaf on 2 ounces/50 g whole grain bread
- ½ cup/125 mL raw vegetable sticks (carrots, celery and peppers)
- 1 small pear
- Tuna pasta salad—Combine ½ cup/125 mL leftover pasta with ½ cup/125 mL flaked water-packed tuna, 2 tablespoons/25 mL chopped celery, chopped onion and a dressing of 2 tablespoons/25 mL low-fat plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon/15 mL, light mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon/5 mL grainy mustard and 1 teaspoon/5 mL lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- ½ cup/125 mL raw vegetable sticks
- ½ cup/125 mL fresh fruit salad
- Tex-Mex chicken wrap —Combine 3 ounces/75 g shredded leftover chicken with ¼ cup/50 mL each shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and 2 tablespoons/25 mL bottled salsa mixed with 1 tablespoon/15 mL light mayonnaise. Place filling in a small whole grain flour tortilla and wrap.
- Sliced kiwi
- Salmon salad sub—Mix together ½ cup/125 mL canned drained salmon, 1 tablespoon/15 mL light mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon/5 mL lemon juice. Spread on a 2ounce/50 g whole grain submarine roll. Top with ¼ cup/50 mL sliced cucumber and sprinkle with dill, if desired.
- Tropical pineapple yogurt—Combine ½ cup/125 mL crushed pineapple, ¼ teaspoon/1 mL coconut extract with ½ cup/125 mL low-fat plain yogurt.
- Chicken, apple and walnut salad in 2 ounces/50 g whole wheat pita—Combine 3 ounces/75 g leftover chicken, ½ cup/125 mL with diced apple and 1 teaspoon/5 mL chopped walnuts with 1 tablespoon/15 mL light mayonnaise.
- 1 cup/250 mL pepper rings
Found this article informative? Subscribe to our magazine today and receive more Best Health exclusives delivered to your door!