5 reasons I love smoothies
In the summer, when it’s hot out (which doesn’t seem to be a given this year!), I could live on
In the summer, when it’s hot out (which doesn’t seem to be a given this year!), I could live on fresh fruit, salads and smoothies. Need inspiration? Here are 5 reasons I love smoothies.
1. They’re easy. Throw a few ingredients into a blender, hold the button down and you’re done.
2. They’re quick to eat. Making a smoothie for breakfast means I can sip it while I’m getting ready for work, and carry it with me from kitchen to bedroom and back to kitchen again.
3. They’re healthy. Assuming you use quality healthy ingredients, of course. But smoothies are a great way to get lots of fruit into your diet, plus other nutrients, depending on the ingredients you use.
4. They’re refreshing. You know those hot, hot days when you don’t really want to eat, but you’re still hungry? Smoothies are the perfect food for those times’cool and refreshing, yet still filling.
5. They taste good. A healthy smoothie tastes like dessert, but it’s still healthy. And you can play around with your ingredients so you never get tired of the flavours.
My basic smoothie recipe consists of a banana, some frozen and/or fresh fruit, yogurt and a tablespoon or so of ground flaxseeds, plus a bit of soy milk if it’s too thick. One of my favourite blends right now is fresh mango with frozen raspberries. If I want a more filling smoothie that’s more of a meal, I’ll throw in some protein powder.
If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out our collection of healthy fruit smoothie recipes.
What do you love about smoothies?