Yoga for sleep: Reclined twist
• Lie on your back and bring the knees into the chest.
• Extend the left arm to the side at shoulder height, palm facing up.
• Keeping the knees high, slowly bring them out to the right until they reach the floor.
• Place the right hand on top of the right knee. You may want to use the right hand to massage the outer left leg and hip.
• Gaze straight up at the ceiling or slightly to the left.
• Repeat on the other side.
Best Health tip: Place a cushion or other support under the lowered knees to decrease the range of motion.
Yoga for sleep: Viparita Karani (legs-up-the-wall pose)
• Sit sideways against a wall (if you do not have enough space in your home to do it against a wall, do it in the middle of the floor). Bring up one leg then the other as you come to your back with legs extended up the wall.
• Extend the arms along your sides, palms facing up.
• Close the eyes and breathe as you relax into the pose. If you like, place an eye pillow over the eyes to block light.
Best Health tip: Bring the buttocks farther away from the wall to relieve tight hamstrings. Tie a belt around the lower legs to keep them together so you can relax further into the pose.