Potato Cakes with Baked Tomatoes
Potato cakes, flavoured with leeks, tasty cheese and fresh herbs, make a satisfying vegetarian meal served with baked tomatoes and accompanied by a simple leaf salad.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4makes 8||35minutes plus cooling||40minutes|
|4makes 8||35minutes plus cooling|
- 1 kg potatoes washed
- 1 large leek sliced
- 2 tbsp low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese grated
- 6 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs fresh
- 4 large tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp garlic-flavoured olive oil for brushing
- all-purpose flour for dusting
Servings: makes 8
Servings: makes 8
- Cut the large potatoes into halves or quarters. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add the potatoes. Bring back to a boil, turn down the heat and cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Add the leek to the pan for the last 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables, then spread them out on a plate and leave them to cool. Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- When the potatoes are cool, peel and place in a bowl with the leek, and mash. Add the milk, mustard, cheese, parsley and thyme, and mix well. Divide the mixture into 8 portions. Shape each into a ball, then press on a floured surface into a flat cake about 10 cm across and 3 cm thick.
- Set the potato cakes on a clean plate. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle over half the breadcrumbs. Turn the cakes and coat the other side with egg and breadcrumbs. Transfer them to a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes in an ovenproof dish, cut- side up. Brush them with the garlic oil and sprinkle over any remaining breadcrumbs.
- Turn the potato cakes over carefully. Place the tomatoes in the oven with the potato cakes and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Serve hot.
Per Serving: 401 calories, 18 g protein, 16 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 69 mg cholesterol, 44 g total carbohydrate, 7 g sugars, 8 g fibre, 314 mg sodium