Double Chocolate Cake
It’s relatively easy to sneak some calorie-reducing ingredients like applesauce, Greek yogurt and egg whites into a gooey chocolate cake. Note that the icing must be prepared in advance so the layers don’t slide off each other.
Excerpted from Dish Do-Over by Jo Lusted (Harper Collins, 2014). Photo: Mike McColl
- 11/2 cups non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater), chopped, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 21/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 11/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 11/2 cups egg whites (about 12 large eggs)
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or in a bowl using a whisk, combine yogurt, cocoa powder, melted chocolate and icing sugar until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour two 10-inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a food processor, pulse applesauce, yogurt, honey, sugar, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually mix into dry ingredients until just combined; do not over-mix.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric beater, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Using a spatula, fold egg whites into batter. (Batter should seem a little lumpy; again, do not over-mix.)
- Pour into cake pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out almost clean. Transfer pans to wire racks to cool for 20 minutes, then turn out cakes onto wire racks to cool completely. Remove icing from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature until easily spreadable, about one hour.
- Using a serrated knife, slice a small portion off the top of each cake so that the top is flat. Place one cake on a stand or flat plate; using a spatula, spread a layer of icing over cut side. Place remaining cake, cut-side down, on top of iced cake. Thinly spread one third of remaining icing all over cake. Refrigerate for one hour until set, leaving remaining icing at room temperature. Ice cake with remaining icing. Serve immediately or refrigerate, bringing cake to room temperature before serving.
Makes one 10-inch round layer cake.
Before: 600 calories, 32 g total fat Dish Do-Over: 339 calories, 10 g total fat
6 g saturated fat, 53 g carbohydrates, 7 g fibre, 26 g sugars, 13 g protein, 236 mg sodium, 17 mg cholesterol