On Friday evening I went to a nearby market to get some delicious, fresh food. My fridge was less than full and I wanted to stock up on some yummy greens for the weekend. I got some broccolini, black kale, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and some spices. I was heading out later in the evening, so I needed to pull something together quickly. What’s my go-to? Pasta. When I used to crave pasta, it was creamy, cheesy Mac & Cheese, but on a warm night, and after going on an elimination diet to sort out some health issues, my pasta choices tend to be slightly healthier. On this particular summery Friday night, it had to be fresh and light.
5 stalks black kale, chopped
1 tomato, chopped in chunks
1 bunch broccolini
½ onion, finely chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
3-4 Tbsp pesto
1 tsp dried rosemary
3 Tbsp olive oil (for coating at the end)
2 Tbsp of grapeseed oil (for cooking)
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 Tbsp chili flakes (add more or less, depending on your spice tolerance)
salt and pepper to taste
Brown rice pasta (you could use any type of pasta, but I like this one because it’s gluten free and doesn’t make me feel bloated)
2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1. Heat grapeseed oil in a medium sized pan until hot.
2. Add onions, cook until soft.
3. Add kale, cook until it begins to wilt (about 3-4 minutes). Meanwhile, boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.
4. Add garlic, brocconini, zucchini. Cook all ingredients together until soft. Add tomato.
5. Add spices, salt and pepper.
6. Once pasta has cooked (NOTE: If you’re cooking with brown rice pasta, remember to rinse with cold water for a few seconds to prevent it from getting sticky), add pesto and olive oil and mix it in with the vegetable mixture in the pan on reduced heat until ready to serve.
7. Add nutritional yeast to the top and you’re ready!
What’s your favourite go-to Friday night dish?
-Jessica Harding, associate web editor