Banish stubborn fat
Ever grabbed a chunk of your flesh and lamented, “How do I get rid of this?” As a fitness trainer, I can tell you it’s one of the questions I get most from women. And invariably it’s our soft tummy or hips, wobbly upper arms, thick thighs, widening bum-or all of the above.
Yes, it is possible to get rid of fat if you have the right overall plan-and we’ve got that workout for you. Best Health, along with Sherri McMillan, a Canadian personal trainer and the owner of Northwest Personal Training in Washington State, designed a program of seven exercises that tone your thighs, butt, triceps and core. Follow the cardio prescription; do these exercises; eat a high-fibre, healthy diet; and you will see results within eight to 10 weeks! (Before starting any new fitness program, speak to your doctor to see if it’s safe for you.)
How to get started
• A kitchen chair
• A mat or towel
• A pair of dumbbells (three to eight pounds)
• A watch or timer that counts seconds (optional)
Do light cardio for five minutes: Walk or jog on the spot or walk up and down a set of stairs.
Don’t forget cardio:
Since you will be doing our targeted muscle-toning program two to three times a week, on the days in between you should do cardio exercises. (And one day a week, rest.)
Each exercise targets at least three “trouble spots.” From warm-up to cool-down, this workout should take 30 to 45 minutes. For best results, do the workout two to three times a week. Each time, here’s what to do:
• Complete one set of 10 repetitions.
• Do one minute of cardio between exercises, such as jogging on the spot, jumping jacks or skipping. For a fun cardio blast, roll up a towel and place it on the floor-hop over the towel with one or both feet for a minute.
• Repeat the circuit depending on your fitness level: Beginners should do the circuit once, and add another circuit after three to four weeks. If you already exercise moderately, do the circuit twice (or more if you can).
Remember to challenge yourself-if the hand weights are too light, go heavier!